Paul Dawson has practiced law since 2001. He advises insurers on coverage, and drafts and revises policy wordings. He has particular expertise in cyber liability, privacy-related claims, and statutory compliance (PIPEDA, CASL, Digital Privacy Act, etc.) He also defends insureds under general liability (CGL), errors and omissions (E&O), directors and officers (D&O), and other specialty lines of liability insurance.
In addition to maintaining an active roster of litigation files, Paul also performs specialized legal research on issues of historical, statutory, and foreign law. Paul has taught legal research and writing as an Adjunct Professor in the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Law, and has co-chaired seminars and presented papers on legal research for the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia and for Canadian Defence Lawyers.
Paul is the co-author of Liquor and Host Liability Law in Canada, published by Canada Law Book. For more information on this textbook, please visit Canada Law Book.
Paul participated in the defence of the following cases:
- Lloyd’s Underwriters v. Blue Mountain Log Sales Ltd., 2016 BCCA 352, reversing 2015 BCSC 630 (CGL insurer not liable for pre-tender defence costs)
- Ross v. British Columbia Lottery Corporation, 2014 BCSC 320 (defending casino with respect to implementation of gambling voluntary self-exclusion program)
- Harrison v. XL Foods Inc., 2013 ABQB 502 (defending beef producer in class action concerning voluntary recall)
- McKerr v. CML Healthcare Inc., 2012 BCSC 1712 (defending mammography clinic in personal injury claim)
- Coventree v. Lloyds Syndicate 1221 (Millennium Syndicate), 2011 ONSC 4788, 2012 ONCA 341 (defending D&O insurer in coverage proceedings)
- MacEachern v. Rennie, 2009 BCSC 795, 2009 BCSC 652 (defending transportation company in catastrophic brain injury case)
- Hung v. Gardiner, 2002 BCSC 781, 2003 BCCA 257 (defending professional body against defamation and malicious prosecution claim)
- “Information Protection and Privacy Legislation in Canada”, Dolden Wallace Folick LLP Publication November 2014
- “Non-Traditional Research Tools”, Legal Research – 2012, CLEBC (co-author)
Liquor and Host Liability Law in Canada, published by Canada Law Book (December, 2010) (co-author)
- “Darkness Beyond the Edge of Town: Third Party Proceedings and Municipal Limitation Periods”, Advocate61:1 (January, 2003)
- “The Role of Fortuity in Builders’ All Risk Policies”, Canadian Journal of Insurance Law 34:2 ( March, 2016)
Sports and Recreation Liability Law in Canada, published by Canada Law Book (March, 2017)
Cyber Liability and Cyber Insurance in Canada, published by Canada Law Book, February, 2020.