Dan is a partner in the firm’s Vancouver office. Dan has a diverse insurance litigation practice including liquor/commercial host liability, sports and recreation liability, complex personal injury claims, property claims, wildfire claims, strata matters and products liability claims.
Dan has appeared in the Provincial and Supreme courts of British Columbia, regulatory tribunals, and has represented clients in court proceedings in provinces outside British Columbia.
DAN’S REPRESENTATIVE WORK INCLUDES:
Liquor/Commercial Host Liability
Dan regularly acts for commercial liquor providers in all manner of claims including catastrophic injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents, assaults, forcible ejections, and occupiers’ liability claims. Dan has acted for numerous bars, pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, and organizers of special events.
Dan has experience defending licensed security companies and personnel who are engaged to provide security services to commercial establishments or for special events. Within this area, Dan has defended claims for negligence, assault and battery and excessive force.
Dan has also defended claims made against individuals who have been sued in the “social host” context in circumstances where the host has served alcohol to guests who have subsequently injured themselves or others.
Sports and Recreation Liability
Dan has represented amateur sports leagues / associations, participants in sporting events, and the operators of sporting facilities and arenas in all manner of claims.
Complex Personal Injury
Dan has experience defending a variety of personal injury claims. Dan also handles a variety of occupiers’ liability claims involving bodily injury. Dan has acted for a broad range of businesses including shopping malls, retailers, hotels, casinos, restaurants, strata corporations, winter maintenance companies, golf courses, contractors and municipalities, as well as individuals covered by their homeowner’s insurance.
Dan has acted for numerous insureds in a variety of cases relating to wildfire legislation. Dan has successfully defended claims made by the Province against logging contractors, forestry contractors, and individuals, to recover firefighting costs and impose contravention orders pursuant to wildfire legislation.
Dan has acted for manufacturers and suppliers of products alleged to be defective which cause personal injury or damage to property. Dan has also acted for insurers in prosecuting subrogated claims against the manufacturers and suppliers of such products.
Dan acts for both domestic and international insurers in the prosecution of all manner of subrogated claims including fire losses, flooding and construction deficiencies resulting in claims for significant property damage and business interruption.
Dan co-authored an update for the firm’s comprehensive subrogation paper, Practical and Substantive Aspects of Subrogation, which can be found in the “Publications” section of the firm website.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS, RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Called to British Columbia Bar, 2013
Recent Publications & Professional Development:
- Dolden Wallace Folick Newsletter, Wildfire Update: 2021
- Dolden Wallace Folick Newsletter, Wildfire Claims in BC
- Dolden Wallace Folick Publication, “Practical and Substantive Aspects of Subrogation” (co-author with Eric Dolden) (Sept 2015)
- Participated in secondment to an insurance syndicate at Lloyds of London (Summer 2017)
- One West Holdings v. Owners, Strata Plan LMS 2995, 2021 BCSC 473: Co-counsel in 8 week trial on dispute concerning parking rights in a strata development.
- Garisto v. Goudie, 2021 BCSC 1257: Counsel for pub in liquor / commercial host liability summary trial.
- Province of BC v. Gudeit Bros. Contracting (2021 determination pursuant to the Wildfire Act): counsel for logging contractor.
- Province of BC v. CanWel Timber Ltd. (2021 determination pursuant to the Wildfire Act): counsel for forestry company.