Chet Wydrzynski is a partner with the firm. He has practiced insurance defence litigation his entire career.
Chet obtained his law degree from the University of Ottawa in 2003. He then became a member of the Bar of Ontario in 2004. Prior to law school, he graduated from the University of Windsor, completing a Bachelor of Arts (History) in 1998.
Chet has significant experience in the areas of occupiers’ liability, liquor liability, sports and recreation, professional negligence, coverage, and property. Chet is an experienced trial lawyer, having taken both jury and non-jury matters to verdict.
Liquor Liability Defence
Chet defends all manner of bars, taverns, and nightclubs, defending all types of claims against commercial hosts including over-service allegations, forcible ejection, and improper maintenance. He has acted as counsel in multiple trials.
Chet often speaks to both insurers and insureds about liquor liability. He was the Chairperson of the Canadian Defence Lawyers conference on Commercial Host Liability.
Sports and Recreation Liability Defence
Chet has represented a variety of sports organizations, from recreational participants to the National Team level. Entities he has defended include martial arts studios, rock climbing facilities, and sports’ governing bodies.
Security Industry Liability Defence
Chet acts as defence counsel for a number of security companies. He has defended claims involving excessive force, theft, arson, improper monitoring of alarm systems, and improper maintenance.
Professional Negligence Liability Defence
Chet acts as defence of professionals in various disciplines including mortgage brokers, insurance brokers, and architects.
Insurers regularly appoint Chet to defend a diverse selection of contractors and sub-contractors in various construction disputes. He has been involved in defending claims arising from construction projects of all sizes, from a single-family homes to large condominium and commercial developments.
Chet works with insurers on first-party property claims. He is experienced with issues of property damage, fraud and arson. He works with experts and accountants to take principled and defensible positions on inflated or suspicious claims.
Chet provides coverage opinions on commercial, homeowners’, D&O and E&O polices. Chet is familiar with a wide range of issues including misrepresentation, warranty breaches and exclusions.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Law Society of Upper Canada (2004)
- Canadian Defence Lawyers (former member of the Board of Directors)
- Co-founder of Lawyers Can’t Jump Charity Basketball Tournament
Programs and Presentations
- Commercial Host Litigation. Canadian Defence Lawyers, November 16, 2012
- Defending Brain Injuries. Speaker. AssessMed Brain Injury Conference, September 19, 2014
- Offers to Settle. Speaker. Canadian Defence Lawyers Don’t Slip Up, October 22, 2014
- Co-Chairperson. Canadian Defence Lawyers, September 3, 2015
- Defending Major Personal Injury Losses. Xchanging, Lloyd’s of London, April 26, 2017
- Trial Perspectives. Speaker. Canadian Defence Lawyers Bootcamp. September 6, 2018
- Social Host Liability. Speaker. Canadian Defence Lawyers Audioconference. February 13, 2019
- Social Inflation. Speaker. Lloyd’s Market Association, Lloyd’s of London, December 1, 2022