Shelley Armstrong joined the firm in 2012 as an Associate after articling and practicing with a large national firm in Vancouver. Shelley specializes in complex property damage claims, representing insureds and insurers in both defence and subrogated matters, including flood and fire claims and fraud claims. She also handles construction claims. A significant portion of her practice is devoted to providing coverage advice on Commercial and Home Property and Builders’ Risk Policies.
SHELLEY’S REPRESENTATIVE WORK INCLUDES:
- Acting for defendants in property damage claims, with particular emphasis on fire losses, construction deficiencies, and flood claims
- Acting for plaintiffs’ in complex, multi-party subrogated claims
- Advising clients on coverage issues on home insurance, commercial general liability and builders’ risk policies
- Defending coverage claims at the BC Court of Appeal
RECENT COURT EXPERIENCE
- Maingot v. Wankowicz, 2021 BCSC 1595: Co-counsel for West Coast Fuzion Homes Inc. Successfully defended West Coast Fuzion Homes against a joint and several liability finding and achieved a significantly reduced quantum award.
- Osborne v. Family Insurance Solutions Inc., 2021 BCCA 104: Counsel for Family Insurance Solutions Inc. defending a coverage denial under an extension to a home insurance policy. The BCCA found in favour of the position taken by Family Insurance Solutions Inc., set aside the decision of the chambers judge and dismissed Ms. Osborne’s coverage petition.
- Abdoh v. Owners of Strata Plan KAS 2003, 2013 BCSC 817: Counsel for Owners of Strata Plan KAS 2003 in a case involving multiple claims advanced by a disgruntled strata owner under the Strata Property Act. The owner’s application was dismissed on a motion for summary judgment, thereby avoiding a costlytrial. The Strata owner’s appeal of the BCSC decision was successfully defeated recently, with costs awarded to the Owners of Strata Plan KAS 2003 (Abdoh v. Owners of Strata Plan KAS 2003, 2014 BCCA 270).
- Getzlaf v. The Owners, Strata Plan VR, 159, 2015 BCSC 452 (March 2015)
- Kovac v. Alexander Laidlaw Housing Co-operative